Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Blogpost #5 : Reflection on Oral Presentation

Team Intern-a-holics proposed for an improvement in the NUS Life Sciences curriculum via Internships. This blogpost is an evaluation of myself as the first presenter on Introduction and Background.
In terms of preparation, I feel that I have done the necessary research to present to the audience some background information that is simple yet essential in helping them to understand our delivery. For example, an overview of the Life Sciences Industry is important to illustrate the importance of Life Sciences sector in Singapore’s economy and the pressing need to do something about our curriculum to groom future talents. However, given only 20 minutes of presentation time, I could not elaborate on importance of internships to the audience to help them see how exactly our proposal is going to work out and what the timeline looks like. This may end up leaving them confused about our proposal.
In terms of delivery, each point from each slide is progressively revealed to prevent audience from reading off the slide when I present. Hence, focusing their undivided attention on what I have to say. Further, I have tailored the presentation in such a way that it relates to and persuades our main target audience, NUSEU, to endorse our proposal. However, there are definitely areas for improvement because the link from increasing internships to propelling NUS towards one of the world’s leading universities may not be strong enough. This is evident from the Q&A session where a member of the audience requested for clarification again because she still cannot see the link between increasing internships and NUS being at the top. I have to increase my volume when presenting as it may be too soft for audience at the back to hear. Unfortunately, I would be too pre-occupied with content delivery to be self-aware.

Survey results are illustrated using a variety of methods like pie-charts and bar charts. I believe such visual aids enhanced the understanding of the feedbacks from NUS Life Sciences undergraduates. Percentages that I want to highlight are in large font sizes to emphasize its importance. Different colours are used to highlight the main word or phrase that is important as well. However, it would be better if I can add in a video to engage their attention more.
In all, I feel that there are many areas I can work on to improve my delivery. Tone variation and facial expression to display enthusiasm is very important to engage the audience. Hand gestures are too little because I tend to put them in front of me in a 'waitress-like' position, only occassionally gesturing when I realised that I was not doing so.  

5 comments:

  1. Hey Lucinda,
    Thanks for sharing your preparatory process of your oral presentation. Now, I understand the underlying principle of the steps that you have taken to deliver your proposal’s key message to the target audience. The slides prepared by your team looked great on my PC screen but it looked dull on the actual day of presentation. This may be due to the resolution of the projector and lightings of our classroom. In addition, some of your slides had black wordings with red or dark blue backgrounds that appeared too dark to comprehend. Perhaps, you want to try to have a “tech run” for your slides to check the colour and types of font used would be optimal for viewing.
    I personally feel that you have spoken fluently with appropriate pace. However, at times, you were a little soft where I had some difficulty to follow through. No worries, I managed to grasp the main key points for your part. Additionally, you were able to answer all the questions with ease. This tells me that you are prepared and knowledgeable. I think that you wore appropriate attire where formal attire reflects that you are professional and serious in delivering your key message to the audience. Instead of relying on gestures, I was wondering if you would like to try moving forward and backwards while presenting. For example, when you want to emphasize certain key points, you can actual move closer to the audience so they know that you are serious and want to convince them that particular is essential. In this case, you may speak softer.
    Last but not least, you have done a great job in presenting your part for your team. All the best in whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam,

    Thank you for your constructive feedback. Yes definitely I agree with you on the part about the colours looking really dull on the screen! I only realised that while I was refering back to the slides and back to the audience. I got a shock but thought that it would be good if I emphasize it by saying out loud instead.

    I think moving forward and backward is a very good suggestion as sometimes I feel very stiff on the spot if I don't gesture much. I will be more conscious about my speaking volume next time because I know it's a very huge problem of mine but I simply will go back to the volume that I feel is appropriate, so as not to come across as shouting to the audience. I guess I have to keep practising it to adjust to a right one. Thank you! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lucinda,

    Your utmost welcome! You could go to powerpoint 2007's master slide design to alter the powerpoint's main design and layout. This would help you to customize your powerpoint slides with the relevant fonts and design. I learnt to use this method to design my team's powerpoint.

    Yup, practice makes perfect. I also have to brush up my presentation skills too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sam,

    I see, may be I'll use that to customise my next presentation slides' theme! As you can see I'm not very good at IT related stuffs, haha(: Thanks a lot for your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lucinda, thanks for your sharing. You'd described the process leading up to the Oral Presentation very clearly; it is only a pity you were "too pre-occupied with content delivery to be self-aware." It is only with self-awareness that one can consciously and purposefully deliver effective presentations. Presenters giving a presentation must be aware of the added dimension a message acquires as a result of eye-contact, gesture, posture and tone of voice.

    I could see that you had put in much effort to engage your audience. Your presentation was tailor-made for the audience, and very importantly, addressed your audience’s need. Excellent job on that.

    You knew the content well, delivering your oral presentation without reference to notes/cue cards, demonstrating a good level of professionalism. I saw good eye-contact there, and you used gestures to complement your presentation - all key elements in a successful presentation.

    What would make it even better for you would be to have you speak louder. Speaking softly is often an expression of shyness. If you recall the statistics I shared with the class earlier, you will remember that the total impact of a message comes from 7% words used, 38% tone of voice and 55% facial expressions, hand gestures, body position and other forms of non verbal communication. In other words, the moment you stand in front of the audience, within 20 seconds the audience would have already made an impression of you based on the clothing’s you wear, your general appearance and your body language. When you begin your introduction, the next percentage, still a large one at 38% will be formed based on your voice alone. And remember, you still have not said anything substantial yet. Hence, you can imagine the importance of having an audible, strong, clear and crisp voice, a voice where you can entice the audience to listen on.

    You will also want to check your body movement. You were swinging slightly a couple of times during your presentation, which maybe distracting (and flippant too). I am guessing that you were not aware of such movements. Do make it a point to look at your audience – they can tell you more about your presentation compared to anyone else.

    Thanks for the effort, Lucinda. I really appreciate the time and hard work you and your team has put in.

    ReplyDelete