Job Advertisement
Website: http://www.jobstreet.com.sg/jobs/2010/8/d/20/2349903.htm?fr=J
Advertised:25-8-10
Closing Date:24-9-10
Established in 1972, DSO National Laboratories (DSO) has evolved from a three-man laboratory into Singapore's foremost applied R&D organisation with more than 900 research scientists and engineers under its wings.
Guided by our primary focus in defence R&D, we strive to enhance the military capability of Singapore by assimilating new technologies and generating indigenous ones to give the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) the decisive edge on the battlefield.
We also aspire to be a National Laboratory that stands ready to respond to the nation's defence and security needs. One of the competitive advantages of DSO today is that we have - within the same organisation - a potent mix of disciplines and expertise that is unique in Singapore and which we can quickly bring together to address national problems.
DSO's achievements came about, not by chance but through sustained investment, sheer determination, passion, drive and perseverance. We have been, and will continue to be, committed to providing the best R&D value proposition possible to our customers and partners.
Mission Statement: DSO's mission is to develop technologies and solutions that can provide technological surprises to sharpen the cutting edge of Singapore's national security.
Vision: Our vision is to be a wellspring of technological knowledge, a fountain of innovation and an inspiration to the R&D community in Singapore.
Position: Immunologist/Bacteriologist
(Singapore)
Responsibilities:
• You will be part of the research team in studying host-pathogen interactions in human diseases.
Requirements:
• Bachelor Degree (with Honors) in Life Science
• Knowledge in bacteriology and immunology required
• Experience with animal work and/or flow cytometry is preferred
Job Application Letter:
Blk 111 Bukit Batok Street 22
#18-***
Singapore 650111
(65) 91******
Email- nwylucinda@gmail.com
September 5th, 2010
Dr Ang Kiam Wee
Deputy Director
DSO National Laboratories
20 Science Park Drive
Singapore 118230
Dear Dr Ang
I am interested in applying for the advertised opening on 26th August 2010 at www.jobstreet.com, for an Immunologist/ Bacteriologist to be part of the DSO research team in studying host-pathogen interactions in human disease.
Based on the requirements stated in the job opening, I believe that I have the necessary credentials supporting this position. A BSc. degree in Life Sciences (Biomedical Science) with honours, from the National University of Singapore, has equipped me with a solid foundation in biological concepts and relevant exposures to laboratory techniques. Modules such as Microbiology, Immunology, Bioinformatics and Experimental Molecular and Cell Biology, was completed with good grades in addition to acquiring knowledge of the following laboratory techniques:
* Bioinformatics (Dry Lab)
* Microbiology Techniques: Sterilisation, aseptic techniques, inoculation, incubation
* Immunodiffusion Assays
* Immunoelectrophoresis
* Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA)
* Direct/ Indirect Haemagglutination
Relevant qualities I can contribute to the research team includes being a good team player with successful team-building experiences, effective communicator with good interpersonal skills, well-organized, meticulous with details and having a continued strive for innovation.
The enclosed resume contains more details about the above mentioned, as well as other experiences.
This job opening offers an extremely great opportunity to be part of a prestigious research team in the Defence Science Organisation with an excellent reputation. Hence, I will definitely be committed to the research team with utmost sincerity. I look forward to having an interview with you.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Yours Sincerely,
(Signature)
Neo Wan Yan Lucinda
Hi Lucinda,
ReplyDeleteYour application letter is very concise and clear. It reveals that you are very qualified for the job opening. Maybe you could add some details and specify the skills that you list in the paragraph after your bulleted list with technical skills. I think this could make your letter more convincing.
The language, the format and the overall impression is good, this makes the letter attractive and very readable.
Good luck with the process:-).
Best regards,
Annika
Your application letter looks very impressive and neat. The overall format of the letter is perfect. The content brings out both your technical skills and interpersonal skills which draws my attention. And it is also more relevant to your job. If I am recruiting then I will surely shortlist you for interview.
ReplyDeleteIn the first paragraph the framing of the sentence is not clear. Instead of framing it in a single sentence you can split it up and make it catchy. This is the only drawback. But otherwise the letter looks good.
Anyways I wish you all the best for your dream job.
Hi Annika!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your constructive feedback(: It is indeed a little unconvincing without concrete evidences to support my soft skills. I will work more on that part to improve it, thank you! (:
Hi Yazhini!
ReplyDeleteThank you for deciding to shortlist me for an interview! (: I reviewed my first paragraph and realised it was really too long and I need to break up the sentence. Thanks for highlighting that to me! (: I guess I need to improve on elaborating my soft skills as well, to make the overall content more persuasive.
Hi Lucinda,
ReplyDeleteI like how your opening paragraph is so short and yet straight to the point, it helps the reader to identify in a glance, what job position you're applying for!
In fact, the whole layout of your letter is very neat, comfortable (not messy at all) and easy to read. For someone who is busy, he/she will definitely be attracted to reading your concise letter. :)
I also see that you've stated your capabilities and skills in relation to the requirements. What I like most about your letter is that you did not leave chunky information in your application but instead stated all the necessary details. It is like a "bait" and it makes the reader want to find out more. :)
I think this application letter is very well done. You've followed closely the 7Cs to effective letter writing. Well done!