In the module ES2007S Professional Communication, we will get to learn the essential fundamentals of communication so that we will emerge to become very effective communicators with good interpersonal skills that goes a long way in life!
Q: Why effective communication skills are important for me in the globalised society today?
Thoughtsb0x: When we go about doing our daily activities, we are inevitably engaged in communications, whether knowingly or unknowingly to us! (: Communication is therefore a very integral part of our lives and all the more we must ensure that these communications are effective ones in order to maintain good relationships with others and to get us where we want to. We communicate with higher authorities, with fellow peers, with new people we meet, with family members and even self-talk with ourselves.
Take for example: At more formal level when I need to apply for a job/internship with corporate companies, I would have a stronger edge over other fellow applicants if I am able to use the right words, convey my message across clearly/effectively and present myself well during the very impressionable interview session. This is the important stage that potential employers assess whether to give me a chance to work in their company without looking at my actual capabilities at their particular field yet! So, YES effective communication is exceptionally important to get me to my goal.
Take another example: At a more informal level when I need to communicate with friends. It would be disastrous if my tone/ non-verbal cues are such that they give my friends the wrong meaning as I originally intended! Repeated ineffective communications would strain our relationship and eventually misunderstandings could lead to quarrels and the breakdown of one precious friendship!
In a nutshell, I strongly believe that to communicate effectively is the way to a fulfilling life that is under my own control (:
I like the way you expressed the importannce of effective communication by using examples. I also agree with you that now a days communication is a very great skill that gets our dream job. You could avoid smileys when you are writing a blog in a Professional communication module. Avoid short forms in writing. For example, in your heading you have written "impt" instead of important. Because these things makes your blog look informal. The coherence in your blog is quite good. First you have explained the topic generally and then you moved on to your personal opinion. That looks nice. It makes the reader think that your writing is precise and up to the point. I could see good effort in your blog. And I hope I could see much better blogs from you in the future.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that having effective communication goes a long way toward living a fufilling life as we are continuously engaging in communications (knowingly and unknowingly). I could relate to the examples you provided as they are also relevant to most readers. However, the examples that you provided do not quite explain the question that you posted- "Why effective communication skills are important for me in the globalised society today?" Since you asked why effective communication skills are important for you, maybe you could have explained and give examples of how such skills can help you in a globalised world.(: Overall, your response to the main question was to the point and well explained.
ReplyDeleteP.s. Nice blog ! (:
Hi Lucinda,
ReplyDeleteA very well written blog which answers the question to the point.Its true, that sometimes we unintentionally tend to give our friends the wrong cues resulting in misunderstanding and bitterness. Clearly all relationships are held together by a delicate thread, hence it becomes imperative to ensure it's safety.The last thing we would want is to break that thread of relationship over an unintentional message.
However, the next time you may want to avoid short forms like "thru". Although we students have the habit of using the SMS lingo, I personally feel one must restrain from using such terms in a blog-post as our target audience is the entire world and not just merely our friends.
Looking forward to reading your upcoming blogs.:)
I really like your example because whether an interview is successful or not really depends on how you actually express yourself that day! If you could display effective communication over there, i would say half of the battle has already been won. Afterall, we are always impressed by people who could speak well and effectively. :)
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Alicia
http://alicia-almighty.blogspot.com/
Lucinda, that's a very interesting strategy you used to begin this post. Good job there!
ReplyDeleteI have one suggestion though, regarding the use of 'Thoughtsb0x' - have you considered readers who may not know what a 'Thoughtsb0x' is. How would you clarify that?
What do you think if you use your name "Lucinda" in place of ‘Thoughtsb0x’? In other words, what do you think if you write this post from a first person (singular) point of view, instead of a first person (plural) point of view? Would you have responded more appropriately to the task (blog post #1)?
Your post has generated very useful feedback from your classmates, so do consider how you can communicate with your readers taking into account the 7Cs.
Thanks for the good effort, Lucinda, I appreciate your hard work.
To Yazhini and Shruti: Hi and thank you for your comments and reminders on not to use short forms for blogposts which are meant for a wide global audience and not everyone may understand what it stands for.
ReplyDeleteTo Joanna: That is a very good point from you as I have not really touched on the globalised world part. I think perhaps i will just add on here. With a globalised society, I will be interacting and communicating with people from diverse cultural background, coming from different countries. Hence, if I were to speak or write to them in a vague and unclear way, I'm sure many of them would easily mis-interpret my intended meaning! The consequences could be really disastrous if I continue communicating with them in an ineffective manner.
To Alicia: Thank you for your comment! I really am impressed by people who are able to communicate with others effectively by conveying their message in a very clear, concise and structured manner. Interviews would be much less stressful as well!
ReplyDeleteTo Ms Lim: I think it would be better if I just use 'Lucinda' instead of 'ThoughtbOx' so readers would be able to relate to me better. Perhaps to some people they may feel as if they are literally talking to a 'Box' instead of one individual!
I will also keep in mind the first person (singular) point of view which can help me take charge of what 'I' have to say instead of a general 'We'. Thank you for your suggestion!